There are few things cozier than banana bread and very little as comforting as chocolate chip cookies.. except, maybe oatmeal raisin. This recipe comes as a happy accident that combines the tastes of all three delicious treats without added refined sugar or gluten. Your eyes read that right – no sugar, no gluten and the pure nostalgia of three classic comforts.
Because it’s winter (and Christmas!) and the craving for sweet is a natural part of the season. Eating consciously does not have to mean saying no to the delicious things we love and we should not have to deprive ourselves of the holiday cheer that comes with a box of cookies.
You can enjoy these for breakfast (as I happily did!), at your holiday party or gift them to Santa or a special person in your life.
Quick to make, quick to eat and deliciously nostalgic long after they’re gone. From my heart to yours, Happy Holidays!
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup chocolate chips / carob chips
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup chopped apricots
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup cashews
- >>For Chocolate Drizzle (optional)<<
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl combine oats, almond flower, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix maple syrup, coconut oil, egg and banana until smooth
- Stir dry mixture into wet mixture until evenly distributed (it should be moist)
- Stir in remaining ingredients until distributed evenly
- Use a spoon or your hands to create dough balls 1-2 inches in diameter
- Place dough on pans and gently press down on the top to flatten
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden-brown
- Remove from heat and cool on cooling racks
- While cooling, prepare chocolate drizzle (optional!)
- >>For Chocolate Drizzle<<
- Create a double boiler using two pots (or a bowl inside of a pot)
- In the second pot or bowl, add coconut oil, raw cacao powder and chocolate/carob chips
- Stir until melted
- Once melted, remove from heat and use a spoon to drizzle over cookies
- Allow cookies to cool on the counter or in the freezer