Makes one large breakfast bowl
“You can’t evoke great spirits and eat plums at the same time.” – George William Russell
Sometimes my love of nectarines leads me to forget about its sweet relative, the delicious, tart and magical plum. But now that nectarine season is coming to a close, there’s extra room in my fruit bowl (and my blender) for these delicious little ones.
Plums are actually one of the more abundant fruits with over 2,000 varieties – the second most cultivated in the world! These fruits magically help increase the absorption of iron into the body, likely due to their high vitamin C content. A few more magical plum facts for your toolbox: plums are low in calories, high in fiber, high in potassium, and full of antioxidants. They contain anthocyanin and quercetin – both beneficial for strengthening brain cells and preventing cell breakdown.
Combine this with raw cacao and you’re suddenly eating pure bliss. I’ve written at length about the benefits of raw cacao and have finally discovered the perfect pairing that exists between this and the plum. This recipe is a tart, rich and powerful blend of protein, healthy fats and full-body strengthening super foods. It tastes like dessert and it’s for breakfast.
- 1 plum (half in the blend and half on top)
- 6 strawberries (4 in the blend, 2 on top)
- 1.5 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 cups of greens (spinach in mine!)
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen
- 4 ice cubes
- 2 cups of water
- Add fruits, greens, water and cacao to the blender and mix on high for 1-2 minutes
- Add superfoods (maca, chia, hemp, bee pollen) and ice cubes and blend for additional 1 minute
- Pour into a bowl and top with chia, hemp, bee pollen, strawberries and sliced plum
- Serve with a spoon and enjoy