I absolutely love the freshness and ease of this recipe.
The lemon juice pairs so well with olive oil and turmeric, creating a savory and zesty soup with a ton of flavor that is both soothing and satisfying. Combining this light, vegan broth with fresh Italian parsley and sweet chickpeas creates a filling meal on its own as a soup or as a base for a more substantial dish made with rice – The recipe for both are included below. What I particularly love about this option is you can create two separate meals: a soup for dinner and a rice dish to enjoy for lunch the next day.
So, why lemon? The list abounds! Lemon juice has so many benefits associated with it from improving the health of your internal system and your skin, hair and nails. High in vitamin C, A, E + B6 plus folate, copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and even protein (to name only a few), lemon can give you relief from throat infection, indigestion, constipation, fever, respiratory disorders, and blood pressure. It helps to balance the pH in your system, strengthen your immune system, cleanse the stomach, purify blood and improve your glow. You can read more from my friends at Health Ambition here. It isn’t a bad idea to add anywhere from a quarter to a half of a lemon to your daily routine to experience the maximum benefits.
Lemon is always a huge part of the seasonal cleanse and this recipe is front in center in The Joyful Cleanse
But you don’t have to wait until then to enjoy this quick, easy and immediately nourishing soup. Enjoy it right now and all year – lemon juice cools a warm body and heats a cool body and the lightness of the soup is delicious both hot and cold.
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas (no salt added)
- 15-oz water (use the empty chickpea can)
- ¾ cup flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped and packed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice from ½ lemon
- 4-6 slices of lemon (from remaining ½)
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup rice or quinoa (optional for a more substantial meal)
- Add chickpeas (with liquid), and all other ingredients to a saucepan and simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until warm
- Top with fresh parsley and salt as desired
- For rice dish:
- Cook rice as directed and use as a base.
- Top with 1 cup of soup and fresh parsley