Right now, I feel incredibly grateful for my ability to breathe.
Whether we notice it or not, our lungs are always working really hard for us, filtering what they can and supporting us even as they take in particles they can’t filter easily.
Wherever you are, consider the incredible detoxifying powers of your lungs – without you consciously directing ANYTHING, your lungs are helping you survive in a world of chemicals, pollutants, allergens and more… all happening in the (mostly) invisible realm.
Science research is finding that changes in the diet leads to changes in the lungs. What we eat shapes not just the bacteria in our digestive tract but also the bacteria living in your lungs!
In these times, our lungs need as much support as they can to continue the work they’re doing. Help them along by consciously taking deep breaths, avoiding smoke, choosing nourishing drinks and GREEN foods, like smoothies, soups, salads and stir-fry packed with greens.
The recipe in this one has the usual leafy greens like spinach and cilantro plus BROCCOLI, which has been shown to clean harmful bacteria from the lungs as well as berries, anti-inflammatory powerhouses ginger and turmeric, and omega-3 fatty acids found in walnuts, hemp and chia seeds – all good for healthy lungs.
If you’re turned off at the thought of adding broccoli to your smoothie, rest assured that its taste is minimal and it’s impact is big. Try a small amount at first if you’re wary or add slightly more fruit.
The big picture take away I’d love for you to carry with you:
- add more green
- more leaves
- more consciousness into your lungs so you can feel more alive and take in more of this great Earth we have!
- 5-7 fresh, organic strawberries
- 1 kiwi
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful of spinach and cilantro (mixed)
- ½ cup fresh, organic broccoli
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- A small handful of walnuts
- A bowl of water or coconut water
- Optional superfoods to add: maca powder, moringa, ashwaganda, spirulina
- Add all ingredients to the blender and mix on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute until everything is smooth
- Add to a bowl and top with seeds and cut fruit
- Take a deep breath of gratitude before you enjoy it!
If you’re catching on to the importance of conscious breathing and lung support, let’s get together for a private yoga / breath-work session or discuss The Joyful Fall Cleanse, with foods that focus specifically on nurturing and repairing lung function for the windy months of October – December!