That moment when you realize the bananas you bought are just slightly too ripe for anything except for banana bread… Yes! It’s cause for a celebration, right? When the weather gets cold, cozy treats are always welcome, especially when they’re quick to make and taste like memories of season’s past!
These Banana Bread Breakfast Bar are loaded with superfoods, take 10 minutes to prepare and have no added sugar or gluten – perfect.
Like any good recipe, this one came from inspiration. I wanted something quick to make that was delicious, had no refined or added sugar and that could be made with the ingredients I had in my pantry. Google is a miracle worker in situations like this. I adapted this recipe from theKitchn.com’s 4-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars, who adapted it from a friend.
So the game of telephone continues with the adjustments I’ve added – the addition of hempseeds, ginger and fresh apple for a bit more nutrition and an extra fall kick.
These bars are sweet, nourishing, filling, a tad bit spicy and even anti-inflammatory.
The recipe made a big pan, but it only lasted a few days. We enjoyed them on a snuggly afternoon with a movie, for breakfast on the go, and as an afternoon snack. Personally, I loved them with a bit of coconut oil and a pinch of salt. I’d love to hear how you enjoyed yours!
- 3 large, very ripe bananas
- 1 thumb sized bit of chopped ginger (optional)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 apple, chopped into bits
- ¼ cup chopped nuts — we used hazelnuts, but you can go classic with walnuts or pecans!
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350°F and grease a small baking dish with coconut oil or place parchment paper on the bottom
- Add very ripe bananas to a bowl and mix thoroughly until it becomes a smoothie (it will work out to be about 1-1/2 cups).
- Add cinnamon, apples, ginger, and salt
- Stir in oats and nuts until everything is combined
- Give it a taste - for more sweetness feel free to add in a bit of honey or maple syrup
- Pour the mixture evenly into the baking dish
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges crisp
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool about 10 minutes before cutting into squares
- The bars will keep for about 5 days, but they'll probably go faster!