It’s mid-December, which means you’re likely to be invited to a party or two within the next few weeks. And if you’re looking to bring something passable and sweet, and craving it to be homemade, try this: a simple and quick (as in, 10 or less minutes!) dark chocolate bark that’s loaded with your favorite nutritious superfoods.
I adapted this recipe from the always inspiring, Rachael DeVaux at Rachael’s Good Eats. From her fantastic recipe I added in carob chips, ginger and maca powder to give the flavor a bit more depth. I’ll keep this post quick and sweet because this recipe actually speaks for itself.
- Delicious and decadent
- Low in sugar
- Topped with superfoods
- So gorgeous it will impress and excite everyone at the party!… that is, if this plate makes it to the party!
Make it yourself and share what delicious flavors you added on top!
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 small hand carob chips (or dark chocolate chips) - optional, but not necessary
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp maca powder
- cinnamon and ginger powder (a few shakes)
- Topping options: shredded coconut, bee pollen, hempseeds, goji berries, pecans, carob chips, cranberries
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper
- Method 1: Create a double boiler (use a large saucepan with a small amount of water in it as the base and layer in a second saucepan atop this. Add to the stove and in the small saucepan add the ingredients). The chocolate and coconut oil will melt together until it is a warm liquid
- Method 2: separately melt the coconut oil and carob chips then stir in the remaining ingredients until you've created a warm liquid
- Take your warm chocolate liquid and pour over the parchment paper
- Allow it to cool for 2-3 minutes in the freezer or outside if it's cold
- Add your favorite toppings: shredded coconut, bee pollen, goji berries, pecans, peppermint bits, carob chips, edible flowers, cranberries, hempseeds or anything else that calls to you
- Add to the freezer for 15-20 minutes until solid
- Take out and break it all into pieces and serve on a plate