Last week I splurged on a 5 pound bag of raw cacao powder from Essential Living Foods. I just couldn’t resist! Any craving I have for chocolate is completely satisfied and the possibilities for recipes with this wonder-food are endless. In my shopping spree at ELF, I also bought myself reishi mushroom powder and have really enjoyed finding creative ways to work both supplements into my plates, bowls + mugs.
Two days of serving myself these powerful ingredients has definitely given me more energy, less joint pain and deeper, more relaxed sleep. It’s all about the magnesium, which you’ll find in abundance in both cacao and reishi mushrooms. Magnesium is a mineral that’s severely overlooked – an estimated 80% of Americans are lacking it. A deficiency can play a role in your mood, muscle strength and overall energy, contributing to increases in headache, nausea, fatigue and weakness. One reason is because magnesium helps to balance brain chemistry, which contributes to overall happiness. It also works throughout the body in our muscles, nerves and bones creating energy, digesting macronutrients + strengthening the heart.
Cacao is one of the world’s most powerful super foods. It is incredibly rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. It’s actually proven to increase blood flow to the brain + make you happier, which explains why chocolate is one of this world’s most comforting foods! Reishi mushrooms have been used for thousands of years in therapeutic ways and have been shown to decrease inflammation, lower cholesterol, boost the immune system, reduce blood pressure, balance blood sugar and detoxify the body. After researching all of this, I am feeling pretty good about my investment.
Here’s some more of what you will find in both cacao + reishi mushrooms…
- Iron, a mineral that helps red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to every cell in the body. Just one ounce of cacao gives you three times the US daily requirement for iron. (Cacao + Reishi)
- Zinc, a mineral that is an essential part of a healthy immune system, liver, pancreas and the skin. (Cacao + Reishi)
- Theobromine + Anandamide, two mood boosting molecules. (Cacao)
- Sulfer, responsible for building strong nails, hair + skin, detoxifying the liver and improving the function of the pancreas. (Cacao)
- Healthy fats similar to olive oil. (Cacao)
- More antioxidants than red wine, blueberries, acai, pomegrantes + goji berries combined (in Cacao)
- Manganese, which strengthens the density of spinal bone , controls blood sugar, regulates the metabolism, decreases inflammation and aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals. (In Reishi)
… The list of benefits continues, which is why you should make this mocha, hop over to Essential Living Foods + read more.
- 2 cups of coffee
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon reishi mushroom powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for about a minute
- Pour into a warm mug or add ice cubes to make it cold