It’s cold and rainy here in southern Caifornia and as an East Coast lady, I couldn’t be happier about it. What a treat it is to have a reason to linger in bed, turn on the heat and get extra cozy. What I love most about cold mornings is the creativity it elicits in my kitchen. Creating a life-affirming breakfast to meet my mood is just one healing gesture I can give to myself at a time when turning inwards feels most intuitive.
Breakfasts that warm the body, such as oatmeal, are so fantastic during the colder months and you will find your body really enjoys the heavier taste – especially when the wind is blowing outside.
I love adding matcha powder to my recipes – it provides an earthy, rich flavor and an extra boost of nutrition. There are many benefits to matcha, including:
- Lots of Antioxidants
- Catechins, a special set of organic compounds found in green tea that have been shown to have cancer fighting properties
- L-Theanine, an amino acid that promotes alpha wave production in the brain, which enhances calm without adding drowsiness. This amino acid is also shown to help improve concentration and memory – it’s great for meditation or focused day-time reading in bed!
- Enhanced Energy is also a side effect of this form of green tea and many find they have more endurance when enjoying it.
- Potassium, Vitamins, Iron, Protein + Calcium are all powerful for boosting the immune system, which is so important when the weather is colder and the sun is around less.
- Finally, matcha is great for detoxification and helps remove heavy metals and chemicals from the body – something we could all use!
I paired this recipe with coconut, hemp, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and AWAKEN Immunity, a powerful herbal blend that includes reishi, cordyceps, astralagus and chaga – HUGE for enhancing immunity. Every AWAKEN product is specially formulated with love and infused with the essence of crystals. I could help but add persimmons on top, because… they’re pure perfection. If you don’t have this fruit where you are, try it with pears, apples, pumpkin or any other Fall or Winter fruit.
Enjoy these Fall flavors joining together in a recipe that is calming, energizing, healing, crunchy, sweet and downright delicious!
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon AWAKEN Immunity Blend
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- a pinch of salt
- optional stir-ins and toppings:
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- ¼ sliced persimmon
- In a small soup pot combine oats, coconut milk, coconut oil, water and salt
- At a medium flame, stir until liquid boils and is absorbed by the oats
- At this point, stir in walnuts, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts
- Once all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and stir in AWAKEN Immunity blend, bee pollen and maca powder (optional)
- Serve in a bowl, topped with coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, bee pollen, maple syrup and persimmon