Oh beets, how I love you and your cool and sweet earthy taste. You keep me grounded with your richness and depth and I cannot help but love the colors you create!
Beets grow down into the ground, but their growth comes from the leaves that reach for the sun as they shoot forth from the ground. As beet leaves grow, they feed the sweetness of the beetroot below. The process is photosynthesis – the process of transforming sun into food – and helps beets grow and sweeten for our great pleasure.
And within this process is a ripe metaphor for us all to take to heart: it is time to rise up, to reach towards the light. As we move towards our light, we nourish and grow our sweetest roots and our deepest essence.
There is so much we can discover about this ourselves this season. In Spring, the energy of plants, animals and nature spirals upwards, reflecting the same process that is occurring within.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, we know that Spring is the season the liver most needs our attention. Food, chemicals, drugs, and hormones are filtered through the liver and later sent to your organs of excretion (kidneys, bowels, lungs and skin). Everything you eat, breathe, do, feel and create passes and filters through the liver, including your emotions! In TCM the liver is strongly affected by stress, anger, irritability and depression, while a happy and healthy liver means a calm, healthy and happy body. Emotional stress, toxic food and a polluted environment will impact this hard working organ and its ability to clear toxins and metabolize and assimilate your food. In the spring your liver works harder, which is why we say the health of your body in the spring sets the stage for the whole year. Beets support your healthiest liver and as a result, nourish the blood and calm the spirit.
Because you really can’t get enough of beets or sweets, I crafted this spring cleanse brownie recipe made with sweet beets and raw cacao. So please, indulge. Enjoy these sweet brownies made from my humble heart and infused with love for you to share in your own way.
And if you’re excited to learn more about your incredible body and all it does to love you, join us for The Joyful Spring Cleanse. You will discover many new and creative ways to use this potent root, beyond these tasty treats. The more I learn about my incredible body, the more I fall in love with myself. This program has been my journey and it could be yours, too!
- 1 medium beet, boiled
- ½ cup date paste or 10 dates soaked in water and blended into a paste
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes - 1 hour
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup raw cacao
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon immunity herbs from HERB GIRL ALCHEMY
- 1 cup almond flour
- FOR FROSTING:
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes - 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- ½ cup coconut cream from a can of coconut milk (the hard topping)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon date paste, or 1-2 dates blended
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a dash of salt
- a dash of turmeric
- a dash of black pepper
- Line a glass baking dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all brownie ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend for 3-4 minutes until combined and smooth.
- Transfer into the baking dish and distribute the dough evenly until packed across the bottom.
- Place into the oven
- Bake for 17 minutes or until the brownies can be pierced clean with a fork or knife
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool completely (on the counter or in the refrigerator), while you prepare the frosting
- For frosting, combine all ingredients and blend for 2-3 minutes until very smooth
- Pour over cooled brownies until evenly spread
- Place in the freezer or refrigerator and allow the frosting to form
- Remove from the cold and slice into brownies