I love quick and easy summer salads that incorporate fresh and raw vegetables with grounding cooked roots and grains. This pairing together is perfect in the summer when the body does crave lightness, but needs to stay grounded, too. In my body, all raw can sometimes make me feel like a leaf blowing in the wind. For hot summer days when I need to be active and feel supported, I add sweet potato and brown rice to my salads for extra flavor, texture and nutrients.
This recipe is great for nourishing your summer health and can be made quick with a little pre-meal food prep. Try roasting 1 or 2 sweet potatoes at the beginning of the week, or prepare extra brown rice if you make it for dinner. That way, salads can be assembled for quick pre-beach nourishment.
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup cucumber
- ¼-1/2 cup of sweet potato, roasted
- 4-5 pieces of grilled asparagus
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown rice
- salt + pepper to taste
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- Add rice and olive oil to a bowl and mix
- Combine with arugula and cucumber
- Top with sweet potato, grilled asparagus, hemp seeds, and avocado
- Top with apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper
- Serve and enjoy!